MindOut: Mental Health & Suicide Prevention
LGBTIQ+ people have a heightened risk of mental health diagnosis, psychological distress, self-harm, suicide ideation, and suicide attempts.
MindOUT develops and delivers national suicide prevention initiatives for the mental health and suicide prevention sectors to help them meet the needs of LGBTIQ+ populations. In doing so, the program aims to improve the mental health outcomes and reduce suicide and suicidal behavior amongst LGBTIQ+ people and communities.
The goals and objectives of MindOut are:
- work with Government to support the inclusion of LGBTIQ+ populations in mental health and suicide prevention strategies, policies and progammes
- work with mental health and suicide prevention organisaitons and services to support them to be increasingly responsive to the needs of LGBTIQ+ people and communities
- support LGBTIQ+ people and communities to be able to identify and respond to their own mental health needs, along with supporting others in the LGBTIQ+ community.
MindOUT achieves this through implementing the following activities:
- developing a suite of professional resources for the mental health sector
- providing training and education for mental health professionals on LGBTIQ+ mental health
- delivering mental health and suicide prevention awareness education for LGBTIQ+ people
- establishing supportive partnerships with mental health and suicide prevention organisations
- facilitating online professional development opportunities for the mental health and suicide prevention sector.