|Take Action||Election Survey|
The Federal Election was held Saturday 21 May.
LGBTIQ+ Health Australia (LHA) called on all candidates for Federal Parliament to commit to nine priorities to improve the health and wellbeing of LGBTIQ+ people and communities.
LHA remains committed to working with Government to improve the health and wellbeing of LGBTIQ+ people and communities.
LHA will continue to call for action on the 9 key priorities set out in our Federal Election Priorities.
Our communities experience worse health outcomes than the general population, especially because of stigma, discrimination and violence. LGBTIQ+ people are a priority population in many national health and wellbeing strategies, but there is a lack of coordination and action.
Fundamental change is needed.
Our central priority is a 10-year National LGBTIQ+ Health and Wellbeing Action Plan drawing on existing national strategies. This requires a dedicated Office within the Department of Health to oversee development, implementation and monitoring of the plan.
The other priorities are:
- Count LGBTIQ+ people and communities in data collection for health planning, especially the next national Census.
- Invest in LGBTIQ+ community-controlled health and wellbeing organisations.
- Prioritise the mental health and wellbeing of LGBTIQ+ communities.
- Protect the human rights of people with innate variations in sex characteristics.
- Ensure the rights and needs of LGBTIQ+ people in the next national plan to prevent all forms of family, domestic and sexual violence.
- Deliver gender affirming care in the public health system.
- Provide equality and opportunity for LGBTIQ+ people with disability.
- Ensure safe and culturally appropriate aged care services.
You can download and read the full details of the LHA 2022 Federal Election Priorities here.
Action you can take
- Write to your Federal MP (try polity.xyz) and other election candidates.
- Share the word on social media.