MindOut: Mental Health & Suicide Prevention
Although many LGBTIQ+ Australians live healthy and happy lives, research has shown that a disproportionate number experience poorer mental health outcomes and have higher risk of suicidal behaviours than their peers.
MindOut develops and delivers national suicide prevention initiatives for the mental health and suicide prevention sectors to help them meet the needs of LGBTIQ+ populations. In doing so, the program aims to improve the mental health outcomes and reduce suicide and suicidal behaviour amongst LGBTIQ+ people and communities.
The goals and objectives of MindOut are:
- Support LGBTIQ+ people and communities to be able to identify and respond to their own mental health needs, along with supporting others in the LGBTIQ+ community.
- Work with Government to support the inclusion of LGBTIQ+ populations in mental health and suicide prevention strategies, policies and programs.
- Work with mental health and suicide prevention organisations and services to support them to be increasingly responsive to the needs of LGBTIQ+ people and communities.
MindOut achieves this through implementing the following activities:
- Developing a suite of professional resources for the mental health sector.
- Providing training and education for mental health professionals on LGBTIQ+ mental health.
- Delivering mental health and suicide prevention awareness education for LGBTIQ+ people.
- Establishing supportive partnerships with mental health and suicide prevention organisations.
- Facilitating online professional development opportunities for the mental health and suicide prevention sector.
- Codesigning projects with advisory groups made up on LGBTIQ+ people with lived experience of mental health and suicidality.