LGBTIQ+ Inclusive Palliative Care eLearning is now live!
This FREE eLearning aims to increase healthcare providers’ confidence in providing LGBTIQ+ inclusive palliative care including:
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ+) communities and their specific healthcare needs
- End-of-life concerns and barriers to palliative care for LGBTIQ+ people
- How to have inclusive end-of-life conversations
- Strategies to support loved ones
- How to create welcoming and inclusive environments
The eLearning topics are explored across four 1-hour modules:
Module 1: Introduction to LGBTIQ+ communities
Module 2: Barriers to providing and receiving palliative care
Module 3: Enablers for LGBTIQ+ people in palliative care
Module 4: Having end-of-life planning conversations
Sign up here to receive updates on the eLearning and other LGBTIQ+ inclusive palliative care resources.
LHA would like to acknowledge those who have generously provided their time, expertise and lived experience to the development of this project through the advisory committee and co-design group. Special thanks to Dr Ruth McNair (RACGP sponsor), Cody Smith (Yellow Tick), BLaQ Aboriginal Corporation, National Association of People with HIV Australia, and Australian Centre for Health Law Research, Queensland University of Technology.
What is Palliative Care?
Palliative care includes treatment care and support which aims to increase a person’s quality of life and comfort as they experience life-limiting or advanced disease. This involves attention to the physical, psychological, social and spiritual aspects of a person’s wellbeing.
LGBTIQ+ people and Palliative Care
All LGBTIQ+ people should feel confident that they can access inclusive palliative care that is safe and respectful. The current research indicates that there are many barriers that prevent this.
LGBTIQ+ Health Australia is currently engaged in a three-year National Palliative Care Project that will build the capacity of the palliative care sector to provide culturally appropriate services to LGBTIQ+ people through:
- Research - needs analysis report to inform content for education
- Development of educational e-modules targeted at GPs and Practice Nurses
- A dynamic community of practice focused on LGBTIQ+ inclusive palliative care. Please contact [email protected] for more information or to join the community of practice.
LGBTIQ+ Health Australia has reviewed the literature on palliative and end-of-life care for LGBTIQ+ communities from 2016-2020. This scoping review highlights the barriers faced by LGBTIQ+ people, the facilitating factors that aim to address these barriers, and a focus on what to include in future education and training. The review also highlights areas that require more research and exploration.
Help promote our eLearning
Download the following ‘Be part of the solution’ resources to promote the LGBTIQ+ Inclusive Palliative Care eLearning: